Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 8

When i called 911 for the ambulance on Friday, April 24th I wasn't planning on staying at the hospital until today. My dad is still in bed and will hardly open his eyes. His fevers are still spiking above 102. He was put on a series of antibiotics immediately and they were doing some good, but not much. Tylenol and Food were the only "medicines" that held his fever down. Then the Infectious Disease doc prescribed daptomycin which seemed to be doing the trick, but for some reason, he took my dad off the dapto after two days and put him back on vancomycin. An hour later, the right side of his neck was swollen, his fever spiked to 103 and he had a rash around his neck and chest.

What the heck? When I got into the hospital this morning, he had a fever of 102 if not a bit higher. They can't find anything in his blood cultures...

anyway, here i am, day 8 at sharp memorial. it's a very nice hospital with private rooms and I have reason to believe that because the hospital is nicer, there has been a higher standard set for patient care. I know God is here, but for me, the burden is heavy.

We had our first dance performance yesterday! hmm...we're trying the vancomycin again with benadryl. hopefully we'll get the confirmation we need. I'm concerned about super resistant bacteria and I'm hoping the doctors are monitoring the dosage carefully.

oh a medical note, post brain surgery, i don't think a patient should be expected to be mobile right away. I think the patient needs 2-3 days bed rest and I have become a proponent of continuing antibiotics even once the patient goes home especially if he/she is asked to leave the hospital only 3 and a half days after the surgery because it's unlikely that he got enough antibiotics in the hospital. I think a full course of most antibiotics requires at least 5 days.

my status:
feeling a weary. my body is not in tip top shape.
i've been eating too many sunchips for breakfast.
mentally, lazy.
i think i need good music and a day at the beach.
dancing has been a nice break from all of this
i'm looking forward to church on sunday. B is finally going to come with me - granted it's more to hear ex mafia boss martin franzese speak - but praying that the service can plant a little seed in his heart.

Done.

No comments: