Friday, August 8, 2008

August 8th and second chances

As the volunteer manager, i get to make decisions about who can volunteer and who can't. I don't do it alone. I generally ask the would be supervisor of our new volunteer if he/she can work with this person. Today, I gave one of our volunteers a second interview. He has a criminal background - three misdemeanors. A woman took him to court saying that he raped her. The charges were dropped and he was left with the three minor offenses, one of which was unlawful restraint. As a proponent of volunteerism and of people, I've decided to give him a chance, but i'm a little scared. My boss sort of questioned my decision but she agreed that it would be okay. He'll be painting our vacant houses and helping the maintenance crew with some light carpentry work. God - i'm just praying that his heart is as pure as he says and that i am not putting anyone else at risk - including myself.

we should give everyone second/third/fourth chances right? He says this is the first place that would look at him seriously and take him in as a volunteer. so....that's my story for the day. i moved out of my office today, but i'm really excited to be in a more open work environment. Our intern this summer and our philly fellow are sharing the space with me. I love creative synergy.

No comments: