Tuesday, July 22, 2008

busy at work, but i think i need to write

My current prayer is that i help encourage and bring all of my brothers and sisters closer to christ and that i don't let jealousy get in the way. i don't think there is a specific incident or person i'm talking about but i do fear that i am far too capable of letting jealousy take over.

other than that, i had another good reading out of "a long obedience" after dropping off the boys at camp. they didn't cry today!

Psalm 131

God, i'm not trying to rule the roost,
I don't want to be king of the mountain.
I haven't meddled where i have no business
or fantasized grandiose plans.
I've kept my feet on the ground,
I've cultivated a quiet heart.
Like a baby content in its mother's arms,
my soul is a baby content.
Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope.
Hope now; hope always!

i'm praying that i can say those words one day...just a little something to aspire towards.

Defining a few words helped me understand this passage a little better so i'd thought i would share those too:

Hope - "is not spinning an illusion or fantasy to protect us from our boredom or our pain. It means a confident, alert expectation that God will do what he said he will do. It is imagination put in the harness of faith. It is a willingness to let God do it his way and in his time...I pray to God - my life a prayer - and wait for what he'll say and do. My life's on the line before God, my Lord, waiting and watching..."

Aspiration Vs. Ambition - "aspiration is the channeled, creative energy that moves us to growth in Christ, shaping goals in the Spirit. Ambition takes these same energies for growth and development and uses them to make something tawdry and cheap, sweatily knocking together a Babel when we could be vacationing in Eden." Aspiration is an impatience with mediocrity and a dissatisfaction with all things created until we are at home with the Creator, the hopeful striving for the best God has for us."

yep... i feel a little better. Thinking about Mariah Carey and Celine Dion ;)

1 comment:

Brandon said...

hahaha... punk mix.

good words, thanks for sharing.