Thursday, November 20, 2008

Couldn't resist

okay so i'm hanging out in a rehab center that has the feel of a nursing care facility. I am typing this blog in the family/recreation education center which comes complete with two desktop computers, a fold out table, old pamphlets on strokes, ear and eye monitors, a sink, and two unplugged tv's on movable carts. To say the least, this is bizarre, but i relish these odd moments in life. I have no idea what's going to happen here (we - my dad and I - may be leaving tomorrow or we might be "stuck" here for two weeks), but i have already befriended one of the nurses and I feel like i know the Sharp hospital system pretty well now, nearly a month into...(i was going to say something unexpected, but in life you are to expect the unexpected and persevere through trials. so, i have no one or two words to describe what my dad's brain tumor means to me).

On another interesting note, i'll be sleeping in a hospital bed tonight in the same room as my dad. We brushed our teeths together just five minutes ago before i helped him to his bed.

My father's balance and speech is still off kilter (expectedly) and i am thankful that our insurance will be covering rehabilitation. I have no idea how much of the tumor is gone and what is already growing back. A part of me thinks that rehab is a fruitless exercise, but i have to hold on to some hope that God can make the frightening prognosis that was given to us about my dad another example of His powerful word over man's word.

I look forward to keeping you updated.

Hang

No comments: