Friday, April 17, 2009

Dear God

your plans are perfect and I love seeing them work out. I can't identify all the details nor all the purposes that you have put into every second of every event, but those that I do recognize, I rejoice in them and sing your praises. It is a reminder for me to sing your praises always. On Wednesday, my grandfather called me to say that I got accepted to medical school. He read the first line of the letter in perfect English. So, after settling down from the surreal moment, hanging up the phone with pop pop and running to my father's ICU to tell him, I started to question if I really did get accepted. Pop pop can't read English?!

Late last night, I sent an email to AT Still Arizona cancelling my interview appointment that is scheduled for Monday. I spent most of this morning wondering if that was a good idea. I would have loved to check out the University, but the stress of preparing for the interview after knowing that I got accepted to my top choice DO program didn't make sense.

I decided to call the University to confirm my acceptance.

"Hi Ana, I am out of town right now so my grandfather, who doesn't speak english very well, told me that I got accepted to Western U. I was hoping to confirm if I did get accepted."
Slight giggle, "Oh, what's your last name"
"Chau"
"Yes" - Ana
"YES! That's great news."
"Well, you have secured a spot for the class entering in Fall 2010, this year's class is full."
"Oh."
"If anyone cancels, because many people cancel between now and August. you'll get a call from us."
"Oh, ok, well...I'll take it. Thanks."

Feeling strange, but excited nonetheless, I got off the phone. I was given a one-year deferrment without asking for one. This means, I get to do things. I get to spend more time with my father. Perhaps travel, and work on that nonprofit idea with Zack that includes biking up the coast of california. Life is full and I am blessed. I don't have to take my mcats again or reapply to secure my spot and now i can apply for the national health service corps and if i get accepted, they'll pay for all four years rather than three because i missed the deadline for this year's application.

I also noticed a few other incredible twists to plans as of late including my dad's surgery date with UCLA doctor, Linda Liau. Everything is well. Thanks God.

Warmest Regards,

Hang

1 comment:

sarahsookyung said...

Wow, Awesome, your on your way! dude, you need to celebrate!